Bangladesh is shining example of verities of seasons. Each season appears itself with its own characteristics and beauties.
The winter is one of the six seasons of Bangladesh. It comprises the Bengali months of Poush and Magh. It is the coldest period in Bangladesh.
During this season the atmosphere remains dry and hazy. Winter brings about a change in nature. At the advent of winter, nature becomes dull and gloomy. The leaves of some trees wither at the touch of its icy hand. Days gradually become shorter and nights become longer. Cold wind blows continuously from the north. The morning often remains foggy and sometimes nothing can be seen even at a little distance. The sky often remains cloudless and the rays of the sun become very mild. During this season, different kinds of fresh vegetables, fruits and fishes are found available in the market. It is the most convenient time for holding picnics, festivals,
social functions and various kinds of outdoor games and sports.
But this season is not an unmixed blessing. The poor people suffer greatly from cold for want of warm clothes. The people, especially the old and the children often shiver with biting cold. Every year some old people die because of severe cold. Even the animals, birds, worms and insects feel the pinch of cold.
Winter season is a gift for us. Pitha, fresh fruits, fresh fish, cultural programs and many others events make winter season the best season. For this I like winter season very much.
Even as I write, another humongous snowstorm is descending onto the Northeast, making this the snowiest (and coldest) winter on record. With that in mind, here are some quotes to make the season more bearable:
- "How many lessons of faith and beauty we should lose, if there were no winter in our year!"
--Thomas Wentworth Higginson
- "I love the scents of winter! For me, it's all about the feeling you get when you smell pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread and spruce."
- "I pray this winter be gentle and kind--a season of rest from the wheel of the mind. "
- "I prefer winter and Fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape--the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show. "
- "I write probably 80 percent of my stuff over the winter."
- "If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
- "If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"
--Percy Bysshe Shelley
- "If winter helps you curl up and more that makes it one of the best of the seasons."
- "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy."
- "It is the life of the crystal, the architect of the flake, the fire of the frost, the soul of the sunbeam. This crisp winter air is full of it. "
- "Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face."
- "Let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius."
- "Many human beings say that they enjoy the winter, but what they really enjoy is feeling proof against it."
- "No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn."
- "Nothing is as easy to make as a promise this winter to do something next summer; this is how commencement speakers are caught."
--Sydney J. Harris
- "One kind word can warm three winter months. "
- "People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy."
- "Thank goodness for the first snow, it was a reminder--no matter how old you became and how much you'd seen, things could still be new if you were willing to believe they still mattered."
- "The hard soil and four months of snow make the inhabitants of the northern temperate zone wiser and abler than his fellow who enjoys the fixed smile of the tropics. "
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "The problem with winter sports is that--follow me closely here--they generally take place in winter."
- "To shorten winter, borrow some money due in spring. "
- "Welcome, winter. Your late dawns and chilled breath make me lazy, but I love you nonetheless. "
- "Blow ye winds, like the trumpet blows, but without that noise. "
-- Jack Handey
- "What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. "
- "When I was young, I loved summer and hated winter. When I got older I loved winter and hated summer. Now that I'm even older, and wiser, I hate both summer and winter."
- "Winter blues are cured every time with a potato gratin paired with a roast chicken."
- "Winter forms our character and brings out our best."
- "Winter is a season of recovery and preparation."
- "Winter is not a season, it's a celebration."
- "Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.""